Sunday, September 18, 2011

Waves to Wine 2011

It was a wonderful weekend riding my bicycle beside the 2000 other cyclists during the annual Bike MS: Waves to Wine Ride. Now in its 28th year, the two day event is famous for its picturesque routes with various mileage options, appealing to both new and experienced riders alike. Saturday's 100 and 75 mile route took riders on a breathtaking tour from San Francisco and across the Golden Gate Bridge, over Mount Tamalpais and up the California coastline on scenic Highway 1. A 40 mile option weaved around Northern California's wine country, merging with the 100 and 75 mile routes for the finish in Rohnert Park. On Sunday, riders rolled out on a beautiful 75 or 50 route through classic vineyards and golden rolling hills.

Armed with tools, a spare tube, an emergency number, and a cue sheet, I was a Ride Marshal for the weekend, acting as both a good will and safety ambassador for the National MS Society and Bike MS while on the road. Over the course of the event, I helped fix a flat, examined a squeaky pedal, enforced safe riding procedures, and made sure that people along the route were well taken care of while enjoying the ride. It was a nice change of pace to have the extra responsibility while on the road and to share the experience with my Ride Marshal buddy since I've grown accustomed to riding solo. Needless to say, I was worn out after the two days of marshaling, but I couldn't have had a more worthwhile weekend on my bicycle.


No comments:

Post a Comment